Pioneer, Ohio Farm
Our New Farm
AquaBounty’s first large-scale, commercial salmon farm in Pioneer, Ohio will supply a growing population with a sustainable source of fresh, locally raised salmon. AquaBounty strategically locates its land-based farm facilities within easy reach of key U.S. markets to accelerate delivery of fresh and safe Atlantic salmon to consumers.
The state-of-the-art RAS technology and overall facility design, combined with the proximity to major markets, will generate a lower carbon footprint compared to flying salmon that was produced overseas. It also will ease pressure on wild salmon stocks, and use natural resources responsibly and sustainably.
Current progress of Pioneer farm construction
“We are pleased to have officially begun building our next-generation, highly productive facility in Pioneer, Ohio that will serve as a model for the aquaculture industry and for our continued expansion.”
– Sylvia Wulf, AquaBounty CEO
AquaBounty’s first large-scale commercial salmon farm includes:
- State-of-the-art Recirculating Aquaculture System
- 10,000 metric tons of annual production
- Estimated 479,000 sq. ft. of space
- Advanced water filtration plant to remove pollutants and conserve water
- Freshwater tanks in various sizes to support salmon growth from hatching to harvest
- 99.5% of water in the system recirculated every minute
- High-tech monitoring and biosecurity systems
- Expected first stocking of salmon eggs in late 2023
- Expected first salmon harvest in 2025
Recirculating Aquaculture System
Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) is a large water filtration plant. Water is continuously recycled through the system, flowing through large industrial biofilters that clean and provide the quality of water required for our salmon to grow and thrive.
New industry, new jobs for NW Ohio
AquaBounty expects the project cost to be in the range of $290 million to $320 million, which will create more than 100 new jobs in the region.
CRB: An international leader in sustainable engineering, architecture, construction, and consulting solutions to the life sciences industry is leading design and construction.
INNOVASEA: A global leader in technologically advanced aquatic solutions for aquaculture and fish tracking is designing the Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (“RAS”) technology.